28 November 2007

my Catalyst Prize entry

If you had told me a year ago that I would be exploring the streets of London on a daily basis, I’d have laughed in your face. I didn’t plan to study abroad. It was too expensive, too far away (I hadn’t even ever been on a plane), and most of the people I knew who wanted to travel had been planning practically since the day they started college. It just wasn’t for me, and that was that. But a series of events in my life during sophomore year forced me to start looking at the world with wider eyes. Suddenly, I was more curious, more daring, and really, really kicking myself for not making plans to study abroad. It came as a lucky coincidence that SU Abroad decided to extend the application deadline for the fall, and when a friend told me of this, I took it as a sign. Literally the next day, I rushed to the office, submitted my application, and the rest is history. The summer was a blur of work and preparations for my big adventure. And when I finally stepped on that plane in August, nervous, excited, and downright giddy, little did I know that I’d be coming back a changed person.

Coming over here, I didn’t know anyone. I wanted to step out of my comfort zone for once, and moving to London took me about 3400 miles out of it. Kind of a drastic step, I know. But I was ready for something big. I came to London with an open mind, ready to learn as much as I possibly could about the city, about the culture, about the history, and most of all, about myself. I vowed to do whatever it took to get the most out of this opportunity. And looking back on the whirlwind that has been the last three months, I can confidently say that living in London has truly been the best experience of my life.

If I could choose one lesson I’ve gained from living here, it would be that appreciating the little moments in life is what’s most important. London, to me, isn’t about sightseeing, shopping, or even the terrible exchange rate. It’s finding an overlooked side street with a charming little café on it, or enjoying a sandwich in the park; it’s meeting a friend for a drink in the evening, or finding the spots with a view (the London Eye doesn’t count); it’s a smile from a stranger on the street, or haggling for a deal at the market. It’s the things that make you feel like you’re somebody, because it is so easy to lose sight of yourself in such a big place.

In the end, it’s really not always about where you are, but who you’re with that makes the biggest difference. The whole SU London community is very close-knit—everyone knows one another and says hello if we pass on the street—quite a change from the hustle and bustle of the big school that I’m used to. But because of the openness of the people who are here, for the first time I felt like I was important, that what I think really matters, and that the experiences that I have here are of true interest to those around me. And I’ve made some really, really great friends. The memories that I’ve shared with the people here are ones I will carry with me for the rest of my life.

I came to London as a sheltered, shy and confused individual, and I am proud to say I am leaving as a confident, cultured and determined woman. I’ve done more things in the past three months that I never dreamed I would have had the opportunity to in my life. Pushing myself to limits I never thought possible has showed me that I am capable of doing anything I set my mind to. Thanks to this experience, I’m a girl who has fallen in love with the world, and I can’t wait to see where my journey takes me next.

http://www.syracuse-u.ac.uk/catalyst-prize.html

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Computador, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://computador-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.