06 October 2007

playing at the royal palace

hello loves!

Just got back from an amazing run in Russell Square. What amazing weather we've had so far this weekend! The sunshine and cool breeze make autumn here just that much better. As I was running I was taking in the scent of the fallen leaves and the moist dirt from the morning dew. I find it all so relaxing.

Yesterday was possibly a most perfect day. I went on a day trip to Hampton Court Palace, about an hour away from central London. This place was absolutely gorgeous!

Hampton Court Palace, 5 October, 2007.

Its history dates back to the 15th century, when Henry VIII used it as a home away from the hustle and bustle of dirty London. He had really bad asthma so the palace was in an ideal location. Henry married six times in the palace (in the most gorgeous chapel, but I couldn't take a picture of it), and almost all of his wives died or were beheaded by him. Some are said to still haunt the palace. In 1689 King William III hired Sir Christopher Wren (the guy who built all the churches we walked around to see for my history class last week) to knock down the palace and build a new one. Unfortunately, William's wife Queen Mary II died before construction could be finished on the palace, so today Hampton Court stands as half-Tudor, half-Wren design.

sunbeams on Hampton Court, 5 October, 2007.

One of the most spectacular things about Hampton Court was the gardens. They were breathtaking. Gorgeous flowers, amazing landscaping, and the greenest grass I have ever seen.

gardens at Hampton Court Palace, 5 October, 2007.

Check my photo album for more amazing shots.

After we toured all of the rooms and gardens, we had a few hours to kill so we plopped ourselves down on the grass and basked in the sunlight for a good hour or so. So relaxing. The sun eventually tucked back behind the clouds and we got a little chilly so we headed over to the tearoom and enjoyed a nice cup of tea out on a patio. Everything was all so charming and perfect, sometimes it's hard to believe that this is really my life.

Today I'm going to Borough Market, which is a huge food market here with all sorts of the finest in food. I'm planning to cook a big dinner today for the flatties and some friends, so I hope to pick up some of the ingredients there. I also have to finish up my roll of film, so the trip is really two-fold. Should be yet another charming day (charming is becoming my choice word here).

Cheers!


No comments: